Marrowstone Island

Marrowstone takes its name from Marrowstone Point, the northernmost point on Marrowstone Island; it was given that name in 1792 by British explorer George Vancouver, supposedly for the deposits of marrowstone in its sandy cliffs. Captain George Vancouver claimed Puget Sound for Great Britain, while exploring the Pacific coast along Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia.

Fort Flagler, on Marrowstone's north end, was completed in 1907 and in operation until 1953. It became a state park in 1955 and is a popular destination for campers and kite fliers. Mystery Bay State Park is another state park on Marrowstone Island, located about a half-mile north of the Nordland General Store.

The Nordland Township was plotted in 1889, and soon after the area was settled by families newly immigrated from Norway. The attraction to the area was the similarity of the land to the Norwegian fjords, the abundance of fish, and the cannery which once existed two miles north of Nordland. Most of the descendants of the families still live on the island.


Want to know more? Follow the links to get an overview of our island and learn about what makes it special!
Marrowstone Island History

Lodging
History
Map/Directions
Classifieds
Local Attractions
Island Briefs NEW

Fort Flagler on the north end of Marrowstone Island is a popular destination for visitors and residents alike.

Copyright1998-2007 Honeymoon Cabin
Web Development Wind's Eye Design, Inc.